The Pain in Everybody's Life

My dad had just promised me to buy my favorite dress. I was flabbergasted. “But”, he continued. I smiled to myself, I knew it was coming. “You’ve to   help  me  get  some  grocery  for  the  house.”  I  gaped  at  him.  “Do  you  mean  I’ve   to go  to that  crowded  vegetable  market  which has  the  ability  to suffocate   me to  death!?”  I asked.  He just nodded. “It’s fatal and dangerous for a small girl like me!” I  protested with a puppy face. He shrunk his eyes at my over  reaction.  “Okay. Maybe you are too small for that dress too!” he said and  got  up  to  leave.  I felt  like  a  golden  opportunity  slipping  out  of  my  finger  tips  as  that  dress was  really worth it.
“Okay!  Dad,  I’m ready  for it!”  I said  and got  up with  a  spark  in my  eye  as   if  I were  a   soldier   on a  life   taking  mission.  He shook his head as if  I  were   hopeless.   “Let’s  go and  get done  with  the  veggies  and  then,  hit  the  store  for  my dress!”  I spoke.  The  contrast  in this  line  could  clearly  be  seen.  I  sounded  bored at  the initial  words  but  excitement  filled  me as my statement  progressed.  “Follow me, dad! I will not abdicate this.” I commanded. I think dad  was trying his best to control his laughter or maybe he just wasn’t  well   because  he  had  both this  hands on his mouth!  “Okay.”  My dad  said  after  much  effort  “Wait till I get my car keys.” He completed. I marched  out  to  the  car,  ignoring dad  as if  it were urgent.  I  had to  wait a  few  minutes  for  my  dad. When he came, we got seated.
I listened to the music that my dad was playing like a DJ at the music   system  installed in the car.  The only  problem  was  that  the  songs he  played were  released  before my birth!  They  gave me a  headache!  ‘Bare  this!  Be   patient.  You  are doing  all this  for  that  dress.  Remember  the  dress.’  half of  me   said,   but  the   other  half  spoke,   ‘Be  patient!?   Oh,  I’ll surly  turn   into one like this!’ But I tried to keep my   
calm.
We were there soon. The place was just as I had expected it to be, populated, suffocating, stinky and just unbearable! The vegetable sellers seemed too   poor  there.  Most  of  the  buyers  were  also  not that rich; only a few had a   good  standard. It was  so  because  almost  all  the vegetables there were very  inexpensive.  The  place seemed  to  consist  of 90% of people under poverty  but   they were  still  laughing  loudly  without  paying  any  heed  to  the   passer-bys,   if they were not interested in their vegetables.   They seemed happier  than the people  in posh hotels who  had the fake   little smiles for the  display.
Anyway, I descended forward. My dad bought a lot of vegetables and made me carry some. When I told him that my legs were about to break of   walking,  he knew  that it  was  enough.  “Just  the  baby  corn is left. Come.   We’ll  be quick  now, okay?”  he asked.  ‘Okay? ‘I said  in  my mind ‘Okay?   Okay!  Can I  refuse that  you  ask  me  okay?’  He  knew  just by my expressions   that  how I felt  and then,  he  tried  to  persuade  me  by  tempting me.  “Okay. A packet of baby  corn can  get  you  a pair of shoes along with your dress. ” he  said  and  with  that  he  had  made an offer I couldn’t refuse.
 We were busy   looking for the right packet from  the vendor  when  an  old  lady  came there  begging  for money. I felt  emphatic  towards  her  but  my  dad had always  told me  not to  provide them with  any  money.  “By  giving  them coins, you  are   making  them dependent  on begging.  They  will  never be forced to   do a   vocation  that can pay  them much  better.”  he  always says.
And, maybe that was the reason for all the adults too even refuse to notice her except one vendor. He was a young man and the only one to go and   donate the lady a coin. He had tears in his eyes as he dropped the coin in   the little bowl that the aged woman could bear on her wrinkled hand. The bowl was small as she surly didn’t expect much money.
I could see his eyes glisten because of tears but he didn’t let even one drop off. He shut his eyes tight and in just a few seconds started acting as normal as anyone else present over there. I noticed the pain that he hid in himself.  He didn’t show it to anyone, maybe because he knew no one could   understand it as he did.  Then, I looked at all the smiling faces around me. They were snickering for sure, but all of them definitely had some ache in  their life that they hid from everyone else. Not just them, but all   normal-looking mature people did, from the visitors of shinning  luxurious hotels to  the poor people  who shined  others  shoes.  The scene helped me gain a   different outlook towards life.
Meanwhile, my dad had paid for the baby corn “Let’s go to get your dress   now.” he said “And shoes!” I reminded him. In no time, we were back to the car and my dad drove off. My realization was fresh, so it gave birth to a   curiosity. “Dad?” I called out “Yes?” he asked. “Do you have some pain in   your life that you hide from others?” I questioned
“Why do you ask?”
“Just tell me, please.”

The atmosphere gave vibes of seriousness for a moment “Yes, I have one.” My dad said. “What is it?” I whispered, being scared of the pain which could   cause ache to my strong dad. “It’s…” my dad hesitated for a moment “It’s…   it’s…. YOU! Why do you think I don’t make you meet my colleagues? I hide   you.” He joked, laughing noisily. I just sat there, frowning. “Your   punishment is that you will buy me a bracelet too, now!” I said, not joking at all. I questioned no further, letting my dad hide his true pain from me   as I knew he could handle it better.
                                                                   - Khyati Sanger

Comments

  1. True n a real story
    U always come up wid the best stories
    at this age u hav written a lot of stories and incidents u r almost everyones role model who like writing stories....
    Ur stories r magnificent, amazing , fantastic sorry but i don't have enough words to describe it and all i say is unworthy infront of ur writings....
    Waiting for more n more of ur writings.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank you so much! You are portraying me as so great, something I really am not.

      Delete
  2. awesome writing kb
    one of the best article i havev ever read
    keep up and keep going
    the publisher's on the way to knock your door

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I wish my door is knocked soon.

      Delete
  3. nice blog Khyati , you're doing great ..continue the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT GOD PREACHED (A Conversation With God)

Friends for Life…

A Battle Against The Downpour