Reliving the walk through the streets of Mussoorie (Part 1)

24th December 2015

The day felt like any other.
I woke up late and dad was busy doing chores for the house. He and I had to go to Mussoorie that day. Nothing was packed. Nothing prepared.
In the evening, we had to search the ISBT of Delhi, to catch an AC coach at 9:30. It would take us on an overnight journey and we would reach Mussoorie at 4 in the morning.

We were out in the famous markets of Delhi 2 hours before our departure time. And, when we came back home from the markets, we drank our tea being very relaxed.
However, as soon as dad took the last sip from his cup, he started all freaking out about the fact that we still had not packed yet. And, so, we did. He scolded me a lot of times in the process for petite issues because he was freaking out. I had been worried the whole day, but was relaxed at this time.

However, soon toothbrushes, body warmers, winter creams and everything needed was tossed into 2 tourist bags and one small holdall. And, we were on our way to metro.
The first metro we entered was very spacious and I didn't even had to take the advantage of the ladies' compartment. However, soon there had to be an interchange of metro, in which even the ladies' compartment had no place to step into. My dad told me later that during the interchange, he was pushed out of the train but I had entered it. He forced himself into the metro, and he was not able to even breath! People had pushed his stomach in due to lack space that he had starting feeling suffocated.

On top of that, the metro stopped at a station for more than fifteen minutes. The doors would get shut and then open due to overloading. However, when the doors would open, more people would enter!
 With my claustrophobia, ladies jumping on me, having no place to stand and having 2 bags to handle, it is obvious that it had been the worst ride ever. I would have died if AC wasn't switched on in the metro because I needed air to breath.
While other women around me were cribbing, I chose to stay silent and show patience. It was astonishing for me to find myself take that tiny mature decision.

It was a pathetic journey already when I reached the Kashmere Gate station, where I had to get down. Dad and I waiting for the huge mass of crowd to go away. We had sufficient time to not run in with the crowd and save ourselves from the stampede.
While we were waiting, we heard a man shout from behind a pillar. He shouted so loudly, I can still hear his voice vibrating in my ears.
He was shouting at the metro driver, for stopping for so long, and making no announcements, even. Strangely, the driver just smiled and walked away. The man hated him more for that, I could see that.

The crowd had gone away like a bunch of bees now, so we went further. But, to our astonishment, the crowd still hadn't gone out of the station. We struggled to get out with them. We could see so many of them running at top speed because they were short of time.

After a long struggle of getting pushed and pulled, we reached our AC coach which were to head to Mussoorie.
To make the matters worse, the bus was only labelled an AC coach. It had uncomfortable seats, banging windows and less of space.
The driver even switched on the heater when it wasn't needed. I feel so suffocated again.
My window was slightly open a bit. And, exactly the right amount of air was coming in.

I was able to smell of the journey. From cow dung to popular dhabas. I could smell it all.

I had started off on this journey to Mussoorie just to meet Ruskin Bond, my favorite author.  So, now that I had free time during the bus journey, I thought I could as well write a letter for him. But, the lights in the bus were soon switched off and I couldn't write to him.

Everyone slept, as I opened my window, breathing in the journey throw the little opening in the window which I was careful not to shut. I guess, I was the only curious soul.

Things appeared so much different on that bus ride. The same trees which were a common site in everyday life appeared much more beautiful during that ride. Away from my laptop, crowded Delhi and my regular life, things appeared better.I unraveled a lot of mysteries sitting there and I didn't know when I feel asleep on my dad's shoulder.
Due to the non-existent shockers, I woke up a lot of times and my sleep could just not be completed!

And, when I got my sound sleep, the lights shined in my eyes. We had stopped to have some snack at 1 in the morning! The place was decorated very beautifully for Christmas and had fresh air but who would want to eat after being woken up in the middle of their sleep!?
We had tea and did eat chips though. I am a foodie, please. And, we took some pictures in the festive spirit.



So, we got back into the bus and couldn't sleep.
Next thing we faced was a traffic jam. The driver intelligently took another route though!

We were getting closer to Mussoorie and so, it was getting colder! We needed the heater now! So, we asked for it.
But, do you think it went right?

The pipe of the heater was broken by a kid passenger and the heater couldn't be used now. In stead we got water all over the floor of the bus!
A pathetic ride.

But, after it all we finally did reach Mussoorie.
We pulled out our luggage to carry it to the hotel, but again do you think it went right?

The whole 'water proof' bag had water in it and over it because of the broken pipe. We took time to find the tissues we had luckily packed, then we cleaned the bag, but we couldnt save the clothes from getting wet, of course. Now, we were worried that they won't dry easily in this cold whether.

So, now we were ready to get out of the bus! And, when we did, we were welcomed in the air of Mussoorie for the first time by icy cold winds. We couldn't stop coughing! We turned to rush to the hotel, but the climb was so steep we had to wait on several spots. Even when we were like 10 footsteps away from the hotel, we stopped, because we were suffocated in the thin air and just could not walk any further.

The cold winds continued to mock us, till we reached the reception of our hotel. And,  it went right?

Well, there was no one on the reception and our was an early entry. Finally when someone did come, they lead us to a temporarily ours room. So we could finally freshen up.

It was a very difficult day, but I had a hope in me that the rest of the days of the trip would surely be better. (Stay tuned to see if it did)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends for Life…

WHAT GOD PREACHED (A Conversation With God)

A Battle Against The Downpour